Emergency Preparedness planning is essential to minimizing the impacts of disasters on communities and individuals. The vendor and provider community are the professionals who provide direct services and supports to individuals they support; and therefore, are key partners in sharing the community knowledge, identifying potential gaps and needs of people with developmental disabilities. The office of emergency preparedness encourages vendors and providers to work with regional centers emergency coordinators to assist in enhancing our work in increasing individual preparedness efforts statewide.
The Department of Developmental Services servers some of the most at-risk Californians and it has been proven with every disaster that individuals with access and functional needs have the highest percentage of being impacted during emergencies. When it comes to emergency response and recovery efforts, DDS plays an active role in responding and takes a proactive approach to ensuring the health and safety of the DDS’ service system. To facilitate emergency response activities and improve emergency response readiness, DDS has identified the need to develop emergency preparedness material for individuals and residential providers, provide necessary training and education, secure emergency go kits and portable batteries for consumers living independently or with limited supports are dependent on power for life-sustaining equipment and who live within high fire threat district areas. If you serve individuals that may qualify or if you have questions, please contact the local regional center emergency coordinator for assistance which can be found under the RESOURCES tab.
The Department has contracted with Supplybank.org who will assemble the go-kits, California Foundation of Independent Living Centers and the Disability Disaster Access and Resource (DDAR), who will provide individuals with portable batteries, and American Red Cross who will develop wildfire evacuation preparedness material for Individuals living within high fire threat areas.
Information coming soon.
- Medical Baseline Allowance Program & Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) Information PDF
Recovery from a Flood/Disaster
Preparing for a Disaster
Video is also available in the following languages
- Preparing for a Disaster (ASL)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Descriptive Audio)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Spanish)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Vietnamese)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Chinese)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Korean)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Russian)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Hmong)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Khmer)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Armenian)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Arabic)
- Preparing for a Disaster (Farsi)
- California Governors’ Office of Emergency Services Access and Functional Needs Library
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) “READY” Calendar
- Regional Center Emergency Coordinators Contact List PDF
- Residential Care Facility Evacuation Training Video
- California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Fire Map
- Emergency Response Resources PDF
Last modified: January 23, 2023